Saturday, November 8, 2014


 FIRST DAY of " RETIREMENT "


  Everyone advised me to sleep late and wake up with nothing to do. Set the tone for your future. Leave the slate blank. Oh , well ; I blew that. I got home from my last day of work at midnight. Got up at 7 A.M. and went to the Carthage , N.C. Tractor show. This is a world class event.


And while I'm really not that into tractors , I'm into art. And old stuff . And I'm curious about things I know little about.


 It turns out that this show has about a dozen very large buildings full of vintage heavy equipment. Much of it runs and is being driven around the large property that houses all this. Steam powered,coal powered, diesel , gas . From the size of a small house to toys .



As if this wasn't a full day , we had to balance all this yang with some yin by going to a great gallery in Seagrove , N.C. Not far from Carthage , Seagrove is a pottery destination. I do not have the official count of how many galleries are in this area , but it is huge. We specifically went to visit the gallery of a friend of a friend :http://www.potteryroad.com/waltons.html
 I'm an official pottery addict. I've been on pottery probation for countless years , but I found things here that I had not seen before and just had to have. The gallery displays it's wares on a big collection of vintage stoves and other antiques.https://www.facebook.com/potteryroad
There were plenty of choices for Christmas presents and I found the perfect bowl for a serving of salad.....just the right size with deep enough sides that would keep the salad contained. 

Just a wonderful first day of freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment